UnderGround Forums Valentina: Weili has to prove right to superfight

Edited: 2/2/20 9:56 AM
1/1/01

Zhang Weili defeated Jessica Andrade for the strawweight title at UFC on ESPN+ 15 on 8/31/2019, and immediately said she would rather superfight flyweight champ Valentina Shevchenko than defend vs. #1 contender Joanna Jedrzejczyk. However, Weili defends vs. Jedrzejczyk at UFC 248 on 3/7, and Shevchenko defends vs. Katlyn Chookagian at UFC 247 on 2/8. And during an interview with Damon Martin for MMA Fighting, Shevchenko said Weili has more work still at 115. 

"My thoughts on this, as you mentioned, inside 125 division, I agree to fight with anyone who goes all the way on the top, gets their position and ready for the fight, ready for the title," said Shevchenko. "I accept to take anyone. But you know, for example, in this situation with a different weight class it's not just like this."

"I think that the person who tries to get this fight has to show and prove that she's deserving this opportunity."

"A few months ago nobody knew the name of the Chinese girl Weili. I don't know what number she was but because of lucky circumstances she became champion but she still has to prove that she is in the right place and she's there because no one is better than her.

"Because my opinion, she still has Joanna, she's a very hard test for her. She has Rose [Namajunas] and she's also a very hard test for her and she has Tatiana Suarez. So before she proves that she's better than them, I think it's not right to jump over the stairs. It's not right."

"She has a lot of things to prove yet."

2/2/20 9:52 AM
7/10/15

Someone sounds worried...because of lucky circumstances Valentina got a title shot.

2/2/20 10:33 AM
7/8/06

Weili will prove all she needs to by steamrolling Jedrzejczyk

2/2/20 10:36 AM
9/13/18
Mustard Tiger -

I don't think it's going to be a "steamroll" joanna trains pretty hard,  she definitely has a good chance to win this. 

2/2/20 10:44 AM
10/5/12

I like that she wants Suarez and Rose to get shots first. I don't see Valentina as scared at all. If Weili wins and beats the competition in front of her the fight is still on the table.

2/2/20 10:55 AM
2/15/06

I agree with Valentina. People should do work in their own division and clear that out before looking to fight a champion the next weight class up.

2/2/20 11:18 AM
4/21/12

Zhang's road to the title fight with Andrade. Wins over:

T-Rex Torres: Now on a 0-4 streak.

Aguilar: 1-4 over her last 5.

Taylor: Back in Invicta after going 2-3 in UFC.

Last fight before she signed with UFC: A chick with a 7-8 record.

Weili epitomizes what a padded record is all about. Joanna might not stop her (Joanna stops virtually no one), but I think she'll outstrike her by a wide margin for a comfortable UD.

2/2/20 1:04 PM
10/3/11

Wuhan Weili will humiliate Golem on the ground 

2/2/20 1:04 PM
12/25/12
Tug Dabone -

Weili epitomizes what a padded record is all about. Joanna might not stop her (Joanna stops virtually no one), but I think she'll outstrike her by a wide margin for a comfortable UD.

Padded record? Zhang road to the title was tougher than Joanna and rose who both won literally one fight to get a shot. 

The only person in the weight class who had a legit run to the title is Andrade.

2/2/20 1:42 PM
8/14/12

Zhang May turn out to be amazing but Valentina isn't wrong. Zhang could lose to Joanna. If she steam rolls her and rose then yea it's super fight time 

2/2/20 4:57 PM
10/27/03
Reebot -

Someone sounds worried...because of lucky circumstances Valentina got a title shot.

Shevchenko has fought up a division multiple times and recently lost a split decision against Nunes, the fighter that KO'd and ended Ronda/Meisha/Holly/Cyborg.

You think she's worried about Zhang?

2/2/20 4:58 PM
7/8/06
Swamp Donkey -
Mustard Tiger -

I don't think it's going to be a "steamroll" joanna trains pretty hard,  she definitely has a good chance to win this. 

You may be right but I think Joanna gets absolutely smoked. Real excited to see what happens!

2/2/20 7:18 PM
10/20/16

Definitely agree with Valentina, a champion should have one defense at the very least before jumping weight classes. Unless they plan on vacating and staying at the new weight class. Champion V Champion superfights won't be so super once everyone starts doing it 

2/3/20 12:03 AM
9/22/11

Top notch gif material right there.

2/3/20 12:04 AM
1/1/01
StrikingMMA - I agree with Valentina. People should do work in their own division and clear that out before looking to fight a champion the next weight class up.

Absolutely. This super money fight era needs to calm down.
2/3/20 12:06 AM
1/1/01
Vikingknee - 

Zhang May turn out to be amazing but Valentina isn't wrong. Zhang could lose to Joanna. If she steam rolls her and rose then yea it's super fight time 

This. All of it. Im a Weili fan too and thought she looked very good vs Torres. Her catapult to fame may have been premature, the Joanna fight will be telling.
2/3/20 12:09 AM
1/1/01
Swamp Donkey - 
Mustard Tiger -

Its def a true test matchup.

While Weili might have had some luck on her side to get the belt, she is legit but I think people are over looking her skills because of the power shown in the Andrade fight. I thought she showed a good range of skills vs Torres but Torres is no Joanna. So this is very big test for Weili. Id say for Joanna too in some ways - Andrade and Gadelha are strong grappling based fighters without the striking skill or power of Weili.

I am looking forward to this fight. Hope Weili kicks Joanna's foul ass but wise, probably Jonanna should be favoured.
2/3/20 12:14 AM
1/3/20
Tug Dabone -

People are too lazy to look up the facts like this! It says a lot and the champ is unproven as can be. 

2/3/20 2:30 AM
1/1/01

Doubt the fight vs Joanna happens. Will probably get canceled due to the travel ban. 

2/3/20 2:30 PM
7/19/13

Valentina just wants more film to study tendencies and weaknesses. I agree with putting an end to jumping the line. Earn your position. Weili needs to defend her title. 

2/3/20 8:38 PM
10/17/12

It will be a bad match up for Zhang. She's too small. 

2/4/20 8:07 AM
4/21/12

Oddsmakers now have this as basically a pick 'em fight.

Zhang is slightly favored at -135.

Joanna is at +115.

Zhang opened at -175 and Joanna opened at +135. Bettors recognized a decent opportunity and drove Joanna to nearly even odds. 

Only one month until this hugely anticipated war takes place! (Fuuuuuuuuuck.... I can't believe I'm posting comments about a chick fight... whatever....)

2/4/20 9:30 AM
8/14/12

I just want to add that Valentina is in my opinion the best lb for lb women's fighter we have right now. By clear definition. She claims to diet to 125 and walks around on weight. At 135 she had to eat more just to come in at 134-135. She went to two close/arguable decisions with nunes who probably out weighed her by 20-30 lbs in the cage. Nunes who has been clean knocking out everyone else.  Valentina hasn't even been pushed by anyone her size in a fight. Or any other 135er besides nunes. 

2/4/20 9:50 AM
4/21/12

Valentina:

9 fights in UFC.

3 finishes.

6 decisions.

Yeah, great, awesome. 

Amanda Nunes: 13 UFC fights, 9 finishes, including Holm, Rousey, Cyborg, De Randamie, Tate, McMann.

Yeah, truly great. As in: GOAT.

2/4/20 11:15 AM
8/14/12
Tug Dabone -

Valentina:

9 fights in UFC.

3 finishes.

6 decisions.

Yeah, great, awesome. 

Amanda Nunes: 13 UFC fights, 9 finishes, including Holm, Rousey, Cyborg, De Randamie, Tate, McMann.

Yeah, truly great. As in: GOAT.

Nunes record is awesome. Hence why I think Valentina having razor thin fights with her in a weight class she shouldn't have been in makes Valentina best pound for pound. Whole point of pound for pound is what would happen if they were same size. I think Valentina wins.