UnderGround Forums Mendez undermining Khabibs stance on Conor rematch

2/21/20 5:40 AM
8/3/11

Khabib Nurmagomedov has reiterated that he’s not interested in a rematch with Conor McGregor, but his head coach thinks it’s not entirely up to him.

UFC lightweight champion Nurmagomedov (28-0 MMA, 12-0 UFC) submitted McGregor (22-4 MMA, 10-2 UFC) in 2018 in a dominant performance where the bad blood boiled over in a post-fight brawl.

While it may have meant unfinished business for McGregor, the chapter was apparently closed for Nurmagomedov, who has said he has no interest in running it back. He is currently set to take on Tony Ferguson in the main event of April’s UFC 249 for his next title defense.

And McGregor, who returned in emphatic fashion, taking out Donald Cerrone in just 40 seconds at January’s UFC 246, plans on staying ready in case Ferguson pulls out.

While that might not sound like an intriguing option for Nurmagomedov, American Kickboxing Academy head coach Javier Mendez says, realistically speaking, the UFC calls the shots.

“Let’s not be naive and think that we’re in control,” Mendez told MMA Junkie. “We’re not in control. We can control what we do, but the organization controls who you fight and who you don’t fight.”

Edited: 2/21/20 11:00 AM
3/19/02

Dana has said in the past that he cannot force a fighter to fight another particular fighter. Khabib can refuse and Dana can take other action. For example, Dana can strip Khabib of his title. 

Khabib is kind of in control.  Especially since Conor is not necessarily the most deserving of a title shot.

2/21/20 12:21 PM
12/7/10

The UFC is in control as to who is offered, but the fighter is always in control as to him accepting. This is all just nothing but posturing. McGregor couldn't get past Khabib on a full camp and he thinks he can win as stand in?? Very convenient to put your name out there as willing when you know there's a 99.99% chance it never happens.

2/21/20 12:32 PM
11/1/19
stainlesssteel -

The UFC is in control as to who is offered, but the fighter is always in control as to him accepting. This is all just nothing but posturing. McGregor couldn't get past Khabib on a full camp and he thinks he can win as stand in?? Very convenient to put your name out there as willing when you know there's a 99.99% chance it never happens.

Well let's be honest. How many times has this fight been cancelled? The last time they were scheduled to fight Tony went down and they went through every fighter on the card to try and replace him with. Felder, Pettis and finally settling on a fighter outside of the top 10 to fight Khabib for the vacant belt that Al had no chance of winning. I'd say McGregor as a backup plan this time would make a lot more sense.

2/21/20 12:40 PM
1/1/01

Were I Khabib I'd strongly suspect that they'll secretly pay tony huge $ to step aside.

2/21/20 2:06 PM
12/9/12

Wake up, ya'll! McTapper already knows, and is in full training for Khabib. Tony will again have some freak injury and/or go fruitcake again, and it's all planned by Dana. Or is it?

2/21/20 2:52 PM
12/7/10
JThomasufc91 -
stainlesssteel -

Well let's be honest. How many times has this fight been cancelled? The last time they were scheduled to fight Tony went down and they went through every fighter on the card to try and replace him with. Felder, Pettis and finally settling on a fighter outside of the top 10 to fight Khabib for the vacant belt that Al had no chance of winning. I'd say McGregor as a backup plan this time would make a lot more sense.

Good point but I would think if they really wanted to put McGregor in there it would be on full promotion, not last minute.

2/21/20 3:14 PM
2/11/20

Khabib doesn't have a say. If Conor and the UFC want the fight, it's happening. Not like Khabib is gonna walk away from the fight anyway $$$. He can pretend he is in charge all he wants but even his coach knows the truth. Champions should NEVER have the final say in who they face, they can have their input but when it comes down to it the UFC makes the final decision. 

2/21/20 3:24 PM
11/24/07
Bill Mahoney -

Were I Khabib I'd strongly suspect that they'll secretly pay tony huge $ to step aside.

What would be the point of that? They already want conor to sit out so he can fight the winner, which will probably be khabib. And if tony wins that’s a better stylistic matchup for conor anyway. 

2/21/20 3:52 PM
11/1/19
stainlesssteel -
JThomasufc91 -
stainlesssteel -

Good point but I would think if they really wanted to put McGregor in there it would be on full promotion, not last minute.

I agree with that as well.

2/21/20 3:54 PM
11/1/19

I guess we both make a good point lol.

Edited: 2/21/20 3:56 PM
12/1/10

its not called the kibib 155lb world title its called the UFC 155 lb title

2/21/20 8:02 PM
11/1/19
Michael De Santa -

I'm sure Khabib understands how the UFC fixes fights & making Connor the alternate is the same as booking Connor. The UFC will pay off his original opponent to step aside so they can make the fight they want. Khabib knows the score. 

Jesus Christ.. I bet you think the earth is flat too don't ya. Lol.

2/21/20 8:05 PM
7/8/06

If Khabib gets past Tony things will get interesting between him and the UFC.

Also very surprised Mendez said this publicly.

2/22/20 8:23 AM
12/4/19

If Ferguson keeps running on tires like an idiot, he'll get hurt anyway. The dudes a badass BUT not to bright.

2/22/20 11:50 AM
11/24/02

Of course his coach would love the rematch as the coach would get a larger payday as they get percentages of the fighter purse I would image. Fight Conor and it is a red panty night for all involved! 

2/22/20 1:02 PM
12/1/10
SuperMann - 

Of course his coach would love the rematch as the coach would get a larger payday as they get percentages of the fighter purse I would image. Fight Conor and it is a red panty night for all involved! 

exactly