UnderGround Forums Kavanagh: Conor retired 'as far as I can tell'

4 days ago
1/1/01

In March of 2016, Conor McGregor retired in a dispute over traveling to a news conference for the Nate Diaz rematch; he returned and won. In April of 2019, "The Notorious" retired again, but returned in January, beating "Cowboy" Cerrone in 40 seconds, and announced he wanted two more fights in 2020. Then the novel coronavirus derailed that plan. And during the UFC 250 broadcast, McGregor retired again.

During a recent video live chat, McGregor's coach John Kavanagh was asked if his fighter was really retired.

“Is Conor retired?” replied Kavanagh, as transcribed by Nolan King for MMA Junkie. “Yes, he is as far as I can tell. That’s what he said, isn’t it?”

A subsequent question expressed the belief that only Kavanagh could convince Conor to return.

“I can’t convince Conor to do s***,” explained the coach. “Conor will tell Conor what he’s gonna do. And who knows? Who knows what’s gonna happen in the future. But, as for now, he’s retired.”

4 days ago
4/4/20

Think we’re all over Connor and his gimmicks. Whatever. Stay retired or keep fighting. His words have lost credibility imo.

4 days ago
10/6/02
Conors return at 185lb vs GSP in 2025 in Dublin.

4 days ago
1/22/05

He'll be back next year when all this covid shit dies down.

3 days ago
10/6/02
JOB - 

Covid will disappear?
3 days ago
1/1/14
colubrid1 -
JOB - 

Covid will disappear?

In fairness he said “dies down” not “disappear”. There’s a belief with some that eventually we will have enough people that have had it and are now immune (or vaccinated) that life can somewhat return to normal. 

3 days ago
1/22/05
colubrid1 -
JOB - 

Covid will disappear?

When the find a vaccine. 

3 days ago
4/11/10

This is so old. He can fuck off already

3 days ago
6/11/10
JOB - 
colubrid1 -
JOB - 

Covid will disappear?

When the find a vaccine. 

You mean if?
3 days ago
11/8/08
Ropix -

Think we’re all over Connor and his gimmicks. Whatever. Stay retired or keep fighting. His words have lost credibility imo.

Why is it that when GSP pulls the same "I'm retired unless its a title shot" gimmick nobody complains. 

3 days ago
1/22/05
bdunning -
JOB - 
colubrid1 -
JOB - 

Covid will disappear?

When the find a vaccine. 

You mean if?

Yes, if/when. 

3 days ago
5/15/15
JoeHurley -
Ropix -

Why is it that when GSP pulls the same "I'm retired unless its a title shot" gimmick nobody complains. 

Because Conor has likely done it more times than GSP, yet he is still to defend a belt and legitimise his reigns. 

Edited: 3 days ago
10/9/10
JoeHurley -
Ropix -

I think it’s because he was already gone for 4 years originally, so we got used to him not competing. Then after he won the MW belt, he left again and hasn’t competed in three years. Plus he’s been sort of semi retired for a long time and was the long reigning champ. He’s approaching 40. On the other hand, Conor is only 31 and in his fighting prime. People still think he can accomplish a lot if he keeps fighting and they wanna see him compete. 

3 days ago
10/11/18
JoeHurley - 
Ropix -

Because George doesn't act the fool outside of the cage and do desperate attention seeking antics to stay in the spotlight.
3 days ago
12/13/16
TheHoarseWhisperer -
colubrid1 -
JOB - 

Covid will disappear?

In fairness he said “dies down” not “disappear”. There’s a belief with some that eventually we will have enough people that have had it and are now immune (or vaccinated) that life can somewhat return to normal. 

I believe you can get it a second time, just because you get it once doesn't make you immune. The WWE just had something like 20 talent just test positve last week. Announcer Kayla Braxton tweeted that she has it a second time after having it in March.

3 days ago
9/22/11

Code for hes not really but l have to say so l dont contradict him.

3 days ago
10/10/18
JoeHurley -
Ropix -

Because GSP will either defend the title or hand it back. Conner just sits on it until it is pulled from him. 

A TRUE champ will defend their title. 

3 days ago
12/3/19

UFC isn't about being a champion or having a legacy.  Its about the money. Making as much money as you can while doing the least amount of work / fights.connor sits out 2 years his value goes up for a 'super fight'. More and more fighters are turning this way because dana runs it as an opportunity and business and not a sport. I can't wait for a legitiment MMA organisation takes over and the best fighters fight and not a rankings system created by the media. 

3 days ago
7/27/04

wolf tickets