UnderGround Forums Jones: 2nd UFC belt would put GOAT doubts to rest

2/5/20 11:35 PM
1/1/01

UFC light heavyweight champion appeared recently on ESPN's First Take, and discussed the long-discussed potential move to heavyweight.

"In order to put a lot of this pound-for-pound who's the greatest conversation to rest, I'm gonna have to maybe obtain a second belt in a different weight class," said Jones, as transcribed by Tristen Critchfield for Sherdog. "I think that would really set me apart from a lot of the guys."

"The move is inevitable. I'm only getting better as a professional. I think I'm at a place and I have the team around me that could get me to that weight class in a safe and healthy way. I'm excited for when it does happen. I see nothing but good things. I've been competing against my brothers my whole life, who are both bigger than me, both Super Bowl champions. I feel like I'm ready for that lane."

"Light heavyweight fighters, we are truly the most versatile – while being fast and strong and athletic – it's the most dangerous weight class, in my opinion. Guys big enough to knock you out but still athletic enough and agile enough to do some really extraordinary things. It's a tough weight class.

"So in a way, me moving up to heavyweight could be easier for me because I'm just used to a much faster pace of fighting."

https://twitter.com/JonnyBones?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Jones defends his 205 belt against Dominick Reyes in the main event of UFC 247 on Saturday.

2/5/20 11:48 PM
9/22/11

Hes talking about middleweight not heavyweight. 

2/6/20 12:32 AM
5/30/15
BringBackGoldy -

Except he says heavyweigh at the end of the vid.

2/6/20 12:34 AM
1/5/08

Except for the roid asterisk....

Otherwise I would say he already is the GOAT.

2/6/20 2:06 AM
11/30/11

He's been the GOAT

2/6/20 3:16 AM
9/22/11
Gartlin -
BringBackGoldy -

Except he says heavyweigh at the end of the vid.

7yrs hes been saying heavyweight.

2/6/20 4:12 AM
4/11/10
FatsMcGee -

Except for the roid asterisk....

Otherwise I would say he already is the GOAT.

2/6/20 4:34 AM
9/6/07

The goat doesn't care about being the goat.

Fedor doesn't care about being the goat.

2/6/20 4:44 AM
7/19/13

If he was to go on and dominate heavyweight, it'd be indisputable. GOAT hands down. But I have a hard time seeing him get through Stipe, Ngannou, Gane, and DC at HW unscathed. Those 4 in a row would be a suicide mission. 

Edited: 2/6/20 5:46 AM
9/2/10

No it wouldn't, his career has and will always have an asterisk against it. What with being a known, multiple time steroid cheat.

2/6/20 6:19 AM
4/13/10

No failed steroid tests would really put a stamp of approval on the GOAT label! Once a cheater always a cheater!

2/6/20 10:22 AM
1/4/16

Bones is already the GOAT. No question. 

2/6/20 11:03 AM
1/1/01

I don't like Jon.  He's a douchebag.  I would love to see any number of guys beat his ass but that is not likely to happen anytime time soon . He is the greatest talent ever seen in MMA.  

2/6/20 12:04 PM
7/8/06

2/6/20 12:59 PM
12/9/02

steroids. 

eyepokes.

2/6/20 1:04 PM
11/18/11

The goat of coke

2/6/20 1:35 PM
1/27/12
yomamafool -

steroids. 

eyepokes.

I have more of a problem with his eye Attacks than his roids

2/6/20 2:11 PM
6/17/12
N9K - The goat doesn't care about being the goat.

Doesn't pop for roids or eyepoke ppl either.

Or hit and run a pregnant lady.

There's more to being the GOAT than just winning fights. It's your impact on the sport and your representation of it; almost a symbol within the sport.

Jon is not a good symbol.

There's a reason Fedor has always and will always have this aura around him especially for anyone that was around to witness it; the birth of an athlete that only comes around once every great now and then.

A Jordan, a Gretzky, an Ali.

And that's why Fedor will probably be the GOAT for a long time because he is the epitome of Mixed Martial Arts, period.

And with Jon's personality he will never be the GOAT, roids or not.

2/6/20 4:57 PM
7/10/02
Ice Cold Igors Right Hand - 

There's more to being the GOAT than just winning fights. It's your impact on the sport and your representation of it; almost a symbol within the sport.

There's a reason Fedor has always and will always have this aura around him especially for anyone that was around to witness it; the birth of an athlete that only comes around once every great now and then.

And that's why Fedor will probably be the GOAT for a long time because he is the epitome of Mixed Martial Arts, period.

I looooooooove Fedor, and dislike JBJ, the man. But Bones has legit claim to GOAT status. But of course he'll always be mired in controversies of his own doing.

2/6/20 5:07 PM
11/20/09
Ice Cold Igors Right Hand - 

Image result for denzel washington monica

2/6/20 5:10 PM
11/20/09

The reason people mention steroids/cheating with Jon Jones, is simply because it makes a significant difference.

If you have two bodies, same build, same size, same potential, same skill level, but one trains 4 hours a day 5 days a week, the other trains 6 hours a day 6 days a week, which body will have more fighting skills, fighting iq, fight muscle memory?

The one who trained more.  If Jon took/takes steroids to train more instead of recovering like his opponents do/did, that is a huge advantage.

Edited: 2/6/20 5:25 PM
6/14/19

His Career is not over but I think GSP has him beat for Goat status at the moment. GSP is just too humble to throw his name in the mix.

Dominant reign at welterweight. Two losses which he avenged. Moved up in weight class and won the middle weight belt. GSP might even be able to win a third belt weight class if the khabib fight happens 

Jones is capable of surpassing GSP though. See how his career plays out. I don't care about the steroids when considering Jones. Wouldn't be surprised to find out GSP was on the gear too. "Everyone's on steroids!"

Edited: 2/6/20 10:15 PM
10/27/03

". I think I'm at a place and I have the team around me that could get me to that weight class in a safe and healthy way.

...he's a big LHW that trains, eats, cuts to ensure he can weigh in at 205.

He can weigh 230+ for a HW weigh with no effort.

2/6/20 11:14 PM
7/8/09

"Fedor sucks, he's not even top 5" -, Dana White

Edited: 2/7/20 6:29 AM
12/9/02
mikethecricket -
yomamafool -

steroids. 

eyepokes.

I have more of a problem with his eye Attacks than his roids

Same here. Roids are way more common than many like to admit but I like to give the benefit of the doubt to those who haven't tested positive and who don't seem suspiciously juiced. If this were pride where it was allowed and an even playing field then I wouldn't give a s*** about it at all