UnderGround Forums Holloway Greatest Featherweight of All Time?

Edited: 4 days ago
4/2/20

I really don’t understand it. Love him or hate him, Joe Rogan knows this sport very well. No, he doesn’t compete, but he’s been around since the beginning, and he trains with world athletes and coaches in all different elements of the game. Does he overreact to certain situations sometimes as a commentator? Yes. 

I’ve heard Joe refer to Max Holloway as the greatest featherweight of ALL TIME on multiple occasions. How can he even consider that to be the case? I get it if your a fan of someone, but as a UFC Commentator, you try not to show bias, and always give credit where credit is due. 
It’s not even arguable that Max the greatest of all time.

Jose Aldo is arguably the greatest featherweight of all time. He ran through everybody in WEC, then when the UFC created their featherweight division and merged the WEC guys into it, Jose ran through everyone there. 

Then came along The Notorious One, Conor McGregor. 13 seconds and he dethrones they featherweight king. Now I know Conor has been gifted a lot fights, but that wasn’t the case here. Conor earned his title shot at featherweight against Jose defeating guys like Brandao, Mendes, Poirier and Holloway to get there. Of course, we all know McGregor didn’t defend his featherweight title, but I truly believe it was because he had so many other opportunities presented to him. We all know how it goes after that.

So who is the greatest Featherweight of ALL TIME in your opinion? Is it Holloway, Aldo, or McGregor and why?

6 days ago
1/1/01

Aldo

6 days ago
1/16/12

Its Aldo and it's not even close. There is no ducking argument for Halloway being the goat. You're not the goat with 3 title defenses when someone has been undefeated for triple that amount in years and defenses 

6 days ago
11/24/13

Aldo, the Holloway “argument” only exists because Joe Rogan said another dumb thing. 

6 days ago
1/1/01

Holloway starched him twice.  He owned him so I guess he is the goat

6 days ago
8/6/06

Absolutely not. Aldo dominated the division for damn near a decade.

6 days ago
1/1/01

Conor is out of the running, the other 2 at least have a case, Aldo for owning the division for a long time, Holloway for owning the guy who owned the division for a long time. 

6 days ago
8/6/06
Tim Duncan -

Yep, and Leon Spinks is greater than Muhammad Ali.

6 days ago
2/21/11
Tim Duncan - 

So Volk is the FW goat for handling Max? I don't think so.

Look at their body of work at the top and it's not even close.

Aldo by a country mile.
6 days ago
6/5/14

Aldo, Max beat him twice BUT he had to do what Jose did before being the best ever 

6 days ago
1/1/01

Aldo and its not even close

6 days ago
10/9/10
ABCTT_HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe -

Absolutely not. Aldo dominated the division for damn near a decade.

This. 

Max COULD be, but he would have a ton of work to do to even be in the conversation. 

6 days ago
7/2/09
Hybrid Elite -

Aldo and its not even close

This.  I'm a big Holloway fan, but he would have needed to defend that belt for another 10 years to pass Aldo.

Holloway's second, though.  There's a lot of amazing 2nd's... DC, Matt Hughes, Ronda...

6 days ago
3/4/18

Aldo by a longshot

6 days ago
6/20/11

It’s recency bias and the fact he beat Aldo twice.

i do t believe that was aldo at his best, not even close, but that’s likely part of his reasoning.

i myself would go:

1. Aldo

2. Max

after those 2 there’s a big drop off to like mike brown, Urijah and conor 

6 days ago
2/17/03

1) Aldo
2) Max

Big gap

3) Conor
4) Volk/Frankie/Faber/Mendes

6 days ago
8/7/08
Tim Duncan -

Yep, and Leon Spinks is greater than Muhammad Ali.

And Weidman is the GOAT MW

5 days ago
11/18/10

The correct answer is none of them because the asinine term G.O.A.T is a non sequitur.

So until time has finished no-one can be called a gay farm animal.

5 days ago
2/17/03
James III - 

The correct answer is none of them because the asinine term G.O.A.T is a non sequitur.

Are you sure you know what non sequitur means?

5 days ago
11/18/10
wiggum -
James III - 

Despite being born and raised in the UK, English isn't actually my first language. However I feel I have a much better grasp over this Germanic language then modern Americans.

I certainly know that an object or individual cannot be the greatest of all time, when time has not yet finished.

It's a contradiction of terms.

5 days ago
12/10/09
Acidic -

Its Aldo and it's not even close. There is no ducking argument for Halloway being the goat. You're not the goat with 3 title defenses when someone has been undefeated for triple that amount in years and defenses 

Exactly. Some seem to think beating the goat makes a case for being the goat, but that would only be realistic if both were in their prime. Beating Aldo after all those years a champ isn’t the same as beating prime Aldo. Jose all day. 

5 days ago
12/10/09
wiggum -

1) Aldo
2) Max

Big gap

3) Conor
4) Volk/Frankie/Faber/Mendes

Can’t imagine why Conor is even 3 with zero title defenses. 

5 days ago
8/6/06
James III -
wiggum -
James III - 

Despite being born and raised in the UK, English isn't actually my first language. However I feel I have a much better grasp over this Germanic language then modern Americans.

I certainly know that an object or individual cannot be the greatest of all time, when time has not yet finished.

It's kind of implied that we can't predict the future, and it means "of all time, till this point were curretly in". 

5 days ago
11/18/10
James III -
wiggum -
James III - 

It's kind of implied that we can't predict the future, and it means "of all time, till this point were curretly in". 

All time would mean 'all' of it would it not? Not just some of it no? 

Surely a more accurate term that respects 'Anglish' would be best or greatest in history? Or modern MMA in order to distinguish it from Pankration?

5 days ago
11/19/19

I fear this will be Max's last fight.