UnderGround Forums Gilbert Burns aims to dominate, submit Woodley

8 days ago
1/1/01

Brazil's Gilbert "Durinho" Burns has the fight of his life vs. Tyron Woodley at UFC on ESPN+ 30 on May 30 at the UFC APEX facility in Las Vegas, NV. Woodley is coming off the loss of his welterweight title to Kamaru Usman, and says he wants to injure Burns, who was all enthusiasm in a recent interview with AG Fight.

“I’m thrilled, happy,” said Burns as translated by Lucas Rezende for BE. “To fight Tyron Woodley, a former champion, the number-one name in the rankings. It’s a tough fight, he’s a really tough guy, it’s a huge opportunity. I’m focusing on every moment and getting everything sharp for the day of the fight. I’m confident and thrilled about this chance. My goal is to win dominantly on the 30th. Then we’ll see what’s next. I have a huge problem right now and I can’t think about anything else. My goal is to win, dominate and submit him.”

“He’s very phyisically strong and has an extensive wrestling background, he has many titles, but he doesn’t use it much. He trusts in his hands a lot and so do I. I’ve been improving my striking, my hands are heavy and my kickboxing is more technical. He has the strength and wrestling advantage, but I have the jiu-jitsu edge. We both have different weaknesses and strong suits. I think I’m good enough to beat him. I may find myself in a pickle, but I’m ready for that. Let’s see how he’ll handle it when I put him in difficult situations.”

8 days ago
1/1/06

Great fight. I usually pick the better wrestler but Burns has momentum and has been doing a lot of sub wrestling. I think he wins inside the distance. 

8 days ago
11/10/18

Burns is a tough fight for anyone 

8 days ago
7/4/09

Burns ftw

8 days ago
2/9/09

Ill take Woodley, when he's on, he's on

8 days ago
2/15/11
The Closed Guard - 

If you're coming on, COME ON!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt0UIuGnSdw

8 days ago
5/13/05

Burns has been dropped by guys with less power than Woodley but he has power himself.

8 days ago
12/21/13

Burns will win. 

8 days ago
1/1/01

GIlbert Burns is one of the nicest guys Ive met in the sport, rooting for him for sure

8 days ago
5/5/12

If Woodley comes in motivated he’s going to murder this guy.

8 days ago
5/5/12
Hybrid Elite -

GIlbert Burns is one of the nicest guys Ive met in the sport, rooting for him for sure

I find his badgering of Askren on twitter unseemly. Ben is retired. Hopefully Woodley, who I’m no fan of will knock him back to the prelims.

8 days ago
12/24/19
ShootProod -
The Closed Guard - 

If you're coming on, COME ON!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt0UIuGnSdw

"we have a saying where I'm from"

7 days ago
5/3/18

Depends on what Woodley turns up, im for Burns though.

7 days ago
6/23/12

Burns is untested. Woodley is the deep end of the pool. Woodley by experience. 

7 days ago
2/27/11
RockTheVote -

Burns is untested. Woodley is the deep end of the pool. Woodley by experience. 

Yep. Plus Burns isnt taking down Woodley, so his BJJ is canceled.

Striking wise Woodley is ways ahead.