UnderGround Forums Coach asked if Conor controversies bad for MMA rep

2/20/20 11:06 AM
1/1/01

John Kavanagh, SBGi founder and head coach for Conor McGregor, spoke recently with RTE 2fm's Game On and said he's proud of how "The Notorious" has dealt with recent controversies and argued that the bad publicity has not harmed public perception of mixed martial arts.

"I'm incredibly proud of Conor. I realize it was him individually who has made the sport so well known," said Kavanagh, as transcribed by RTE. "I get stopped by 60-year-old ladies asking me how his wrestling training is coming along. I know it was him who made it a huge sport in Ireland so I'm very, very proud of that."

"Negative headlines get more clicks than positive headlines. That's just the media game. He's spoken himself about his slips and his mistakes. He's had to pay for those outside of the sport. I feel we're on a good comeback story - he had a great win in January - but yeah, like most things in life you take the good with the bad, you roll with it and try to improve, learn from mistakes and get better as a human being and an athlete as you go on. 

"It's a very weird rise from being an unknown guy in Dublin, doing a sport no one has heard of, to being a global superstar. Everything you say and do is analyzed. He had to make his mistakes very publicly and visibly. I'm proud of how he's come through those things. He's owned up to his mistakes. He's trying to make himself a better person and I'm behind that.

"I'd like to think [his mistakes haven't damaged the sport]. I think people who are interested in the sport realize it's not one person."

The question about the reputation of MMA is keenly felt by Kavanagh, as he has spent two years working to get MMA recognized officially as a sport by the government.

"We had to put together a huge amount of documentation between child safety, good governance, membership quotas and all of that, so we're at the stage now of just beginning the application process," said the coach. "We're hopeful we'll have it done maybe in the next twelve months. Just recently France recognized MMA. They've gone underneath the boxing association. We're in the process of applying to go underneath a national governing body for all martial arts in Ireland. It's called IMAC [Irish Martial Arts Commission].

"I'm a huge Katie Taylor fan. I feel like every time she's had a great achievement I'd hear her coaches being brought on to shows and the only conversation would be, 'what a great achievement, what an inspiration' and so on. Every time one of my guys had a great night or achievement... I was only ever brought on to discuss, 'well is this a real sport? Are you promoting violence?' I'd be like, 'I just watched Katie Taylor pound some girl's head into the canvas and they're getting high fives everywhere!'. I just wanted to have it so that kids that are interested in MMA have a recognized route through the sport.

"When Conor started to make waves we probably had about 15 MMA clubs in the country. As of now, we're coming up to a hundred clubs. In general, you're talking about 50 to 150 members in a hundred clubs, so there is a lot of interest.

"One of the biggest things that MMA has done is, for under 18s, they've removed head contact altogether. We just train them to throw strikes to the body and the legs. We don't allow any head contact in competition. There is obviously the grappling element which is more akin to wrestling or judo. It's a tough sport, but it's as safe as any other sport out there."

2/20/20 2:32 PM
12/7/10

He's owned up to his mistakes?? He has never apologized for throwing a dolly at a bus and has refused to even discuss the sexual assault allegations.

That is not owning up to a mistake.

2/20/20 2:54 PM
8/15/15
stainlesssteel -

He's owned up to his mistakes?? He has never apologized for throwing a dolly at a bus and has refused to even discuss the sexual assault allegations.

And Khabib has never apologized for acting like a wild animal and jumping into the crowd. He doesn’t have to talk about any ongoing cases he has going on. And surely doesn’t owe anything to the toxic fans of the sport which is really just the UG. The UG is by far one of the most toxic sports communities out there if not THE most toxic. The UG community as a whole could disappear tomorrow and no one would know or care. All the “fans” here being gone would not hurt MMA in any way shape or form. In fact it would probably be better off without the UG. 

Edited: 2/20/20 3:10 PM
12/1/19
stainlesssteel -

Let me see if I get this straight. So recognizing your problems and changing your behavior to prevent those problems from reoccurring is not owning up to your mistakes. Ok. So he needs to talk about his ongoing legal case publicly to meet your standards of owning up to his mistakes. That's stupid.

2/20/20 3:13 PM
1/11/17

zzzzz

2/20/20 3:18 PM
12/7/10

Simple advice bro, if you don't want toxic reactions, don't do toxic things.

2/20/20 3:22 PM
12/7/10
Strechnuts -
stainlesssteel -

Let me see if I get this straight. So recognizing your problems and changing your behavior to prevent those problems from reoccurring is not owning up to your mistakes. Ok. So he needs to talk about his ongoing legal case publicly to meet your standards of owning up to his mistakes. That's stupid.

You dont own up to your mistake by letting your coach speak for you.

Edited: 2/20/20 3:29 PM
9/14/19

Wow!!

how does Kirik have time with all his community work to follow up on stories with thread titles that criticize more successful men than him ?

2/20/20 3:29 PM
12/7/10

Your obsession with Kirik is getting borderline stalkerish.

2/20/20 3:30 PM
9/14/19
stainlesssteel -

Your obsession with Kirik is getting borderline stalkerish.

Lmao 

2/20/20 3:31 PM
3/14/02
Charlie Hustle - 
stainlesssteel -

And Khabib has never apologized for acting like a wild animal and jumping into the crowd. He doesn’t have to talk about any ongoing cases he has going on. And surely doesn’t owe anything to the toxic fans of the sport which is really just the UG. The UG is by far one of the most toxic sports communities out there if not THE most toxic. The UG community as a whole could disappear tomorrow and no one would know or care. All the “fans” here being gone would not hurt MMA in any way shape or form. In fact it would probably be better off without the UG. 

Ah stay focused this was NOT a thread about Khabib. Can't stand the shit show called Conor McGregor. And he is very bad for the Sport of MMA! If anything his fuck fans are toxic!
2/20/20 3:31 PM
12/7/10
Charlie Hustle -
stainlesssteel -

Right. Khabib is the wild animal, but McGregor is the perfect gentleman who threw a dolly at a bus full of people. GTFOH.

Also if anyone accused me of sexually assaulting them, I would not have to wait months to defend myself, IF I WAS INNOCENT OF THOSE CHARGES.

I would tell Ariel Helwani and anyone else I assaulted no one and my innocence would be proven. What I would not do is desperately cut off any question before it's even asked. That smacks of a guilty man desperate to not be exposed.

2/20/20 4:03 PM
3/19/14

2/20/20 4:08 PM
3/19/14

Everyone knows an athlete gonna be under microscope. You all love Conor and Jones

I love the UG, been following for years just got an account.

2/20/20 4:08 PM
3/14/02
BigFish1988 - 

Not bad for your first post
2/20/20 4:17 PM
10/18/12
stainlesssteel -
Charlie Hustle -
stainlesssteel -

Right. Khabib is the wild animal, but McGregor is the perfect gentleman who threw a dolly at a bus full of people. GTFOH.

Also if anyone accused me of sexually assaulting them, I would not have to wait months to defend myself, IF I WAS INNOCENT OF THOSE CHARGES.

I would tell Ariel Helwani and anyone else I assaulted no one and my innocence would be proven. What I would not do is desperately cut off any question before it's even asked. That smacks of a guilty man desperate to not be exposed.

You don’t know what you are talking about. You don’t know anything about his sexual assault accusations. Do you know who does know something about it? Conor does, his attorney does and he’s been given specific instructions to not talk about the details publicly as it could possibly be used against him in some way. 

2/20/20 4:48 PM
12/7/10

I would point out that you also, know nothing about the allegations. Unless you're like CWTR, also on the team.

Also I beg to differ but we do know a couple things:

1) It's not just one sexual assault allegation. There are two. Which makes McGregor a double scumbag.

2) No one, except Ariel Helwani, is asking for intricate details like the victims bloodtype or hair color. All people want to know is, did you do it or not? No need for a trial to answer that question.

3) Calling out old man Diego Sanchez was the most pathetic callout of the year hands down. Do better McGregor.

2/20/20 4:53 PM
7/29/19
stainlesssteel -
Charlie Hustle -
stainlesssteel -

Maybe if you made more than 5 figures a year you’d understand. 

2/20/20 5:19 PM
8/4/10
Charlie Hustle -
stainlesssteel -

So.....bye then?

2/20/20 5:35 PM
9/8/10
Dogman -
Charlie Hustle - 
stainlesssteel -

Ah stay focused this was NOT a thread about Khabib. Can't stand the shit show called Conor McGregor. And he is very bad for the Sport of MMA! If anything his fuck fans are toxic!

You might have to be literally retarded to honestly think Conor is bad for MMA.

2/20/20 7:12 PM
12/7/10
Tony BJJ -
stainlesssteel -
Charlie Hustle -
stainlesssteel -

Maybe if you made more than 5 figures a year you’d understand. 

Whether I made 5 figures or 0 figures, I will always understand it is wrong to sexually assault women and that no one deserves to have their grandfather be the victim of a punch and run.

2/20/20 7:51 PM
5/21/12
stainlesssteel -

I would point out that you also, know nothing about the allegations. Unless you're like CWTR, also on the team.

Also I beg to differ but we do know a couple things:

1) It's not just one sexual assault allegation. There are two. Which makes McGregor a double scumbag.

2) No one, except Ariel Helwani, is asking for intricate details like the victims bloodtype or hair color. All people want to know is, did you do it or not? No need for a trial to answer that question.

3) Calling out old man Diego Sanchez was the most pathetic callout of the year hands down. Do better McGregor.

Every point you made just shows everyone how much of a bird-brain you are.

1. You’ve already found him guilty by saying he’s a double scumbag for having 2 sexual assault allegations made against him. You do know what the word “allegation” means don’t you? How about I accuse you of raping 100 kids? Are you a centurion scumbag cos some stranger accuses you of something? No retard of course not.

2. If you actually watched Ariel’s interview without looking at it through your hate (possibly jealousy) goggles, he did deny the accusations.

3. ????? ......Jesus you are actually retarded. I hope you don’t ever have to work with heavy machinery around other people smh.

2/20/20 9:30 PM
3/14/02
McBottery -
Dogman -
Charlie Hustle - 
stainlesssteel -

You sir are stinking this thread up with the stench of irony, accusing someone else of being retarded and you're not even smart enough to to understand how Conor is bad for the sport of MMA. Think real hard and maybe you will figure it out, or maybe someone will help you.

2/20/20 10:15 PM
9/8/10
Dogman -
McBottery -
Dogman -
Charlie Hustle - 
stainlesssteel -

You sir are stinking this thread up with the stench of irony, accusing someone else of being retarded and you're not even smart enough to to understand how Conor is bad for the sport of MMA. Think real hard and maybe you will figure it out, or maybe someone will help you.

Do you have any idea how many people Conor has brought to this sport? How many more eyes are on MMA because of Conor? When Conor isn't fighting general hype around the UFC fades, PPV numbers start falling, whereas when he is in the spotlight people care about the UFC again.

And guess what? 90%+ of people don't follow him religiously like you. They don't know what he does in his life outside of fighting, and frankly they don't give a shit. They enjoy watching/listening to him talk shit, and they enjoy watching him fight. That's all that matters. And it has been AMAZING for the sport of MMA.

Maybe some day you'll get over the fact that Conor fucked your mom.

2/20/20 11:08 PM
5/21/12
Dogman -
McBottery -
Dogman -
Charlie Hustle - 
stainlesssteel -

So you honestly think the bad outweighs the good he’s done for MMA? 

He’s basically took the sport to another level commercially on his own. He brought more new fans to the sport than anyone else in the modern era. (yes the new fans might be idiots but we were all noobs at one stage). He’s been part of some of the biggest & most exciting fights since coming into the UFC and has taken fights at multiple weights (something we only wished GSP & Anderson did while they were champs).

And he makes some of his opponents the biggest paydays they’ll ever get (Nate, Aldo, Eddie).