UnderGround Forums Claressa Shields kicks look brutal without techniq

2/7/20 11:22 PM
1/2/20

Imagine if she refines it. Top athlete.

Edited: 2/7/20 11:29 PM
7/15/04

She is a badass for a female. She won't even need kicks really. Definitely needs to work her grappling big time. She will light these other chicks up with her hands and 4 oz gloves.

2/7/20 11:35 PM
10/5/11

Just needs to start turning that hip over. You can tell those are already heavy. Look forward to her progression. 

2/7/20 11:44 PM
6/26/17

Stiff, but it's her fist time with mitts?

2/7/20 11:45 PM
3/21/12

She looks huge, a fight between her and a prime cyborg would've been fun

2/8/20 5:36 AM
12/18/19

Amanda would fuck her up so badly.

2/8/20 5:48 AM
1/13/10

She would be better suited in kickboxing. Just look at Ava Knight, she was a boxing champ, just got choked out in her second pro fight in Bellator. A seasoned grappler would eat her alive. 

2/8/20 6:58 AM
1/24/16

Looks like shit but it's probably enough to be champ regardless

2/8/20 7:42 AM
8/22/14

Id laugh if she did check that kick , then double up in pain when she feels what its like if you've never checked a kick before. 

That's something she needs to be working on . Shin conditioning. 

She's a  beast though.  I could see her doing well in mma .

She looks like a big girl.  How much dose she weighs?  Could she even make 145

2/8/20 10:26 AM
10/12/18

She's  athletic and will learn techniques fairly fast. I still won't expect high level kick boxing from her but we may all be surprised. If I was a women going to fight her id try to take her down and not risk the hands. That being said im a firm believer a top 10 kickboxer/thai fighter could use distance and kicks to beat just about any top boxer in the world.

2/8/20 10:28 AM
10/12/18

Think she's playing possum so Amanda begs Dana to fight her? Would be funny if she had world class kick boxing skills also.

2/8/20 11:06 AM
5/24/08
Barry_BondsMVP -

She would be better suited in kickboxing. Just look at Ava Knight, she was a boxing champ, just got choked out in her second pro fight in Bellator. A seasoned grappler would eat her alive. 

Bellator has plenty of tomato cans to pad up records and give a fighter time to improve. Look at Dillon heck look at venom Paige for god's sake

2/8/20 11:08 AM
5/24/08
dinkledorf -

Everyone looks like shit on their first time kicking pads.

2/8/20 11:44 AM
11/10/19
ValeTudo 1 - 
Barry_BondsMVP -

Bellator has plenty of tomato cans to pad up records and give a fighter time to improve. Look at Dillon heck look at venom Paige for god's sake

This!

2/8/20 12:11 PM
3/6/14

Clunky but they look heavy already. How old is she? Enough time to get liddel fight ready ? 

2/8/20 12:16 PM
3/6/14
dinkledorf -

Some serious shade going under the radar lol

Edited: 2/8/20 2:51 PM
5/30/09

6 months of sprawl training

Edited: 2/8/20 2:51 PM
7/15/04
Chaga -

She's  athletic and will learn techniques fairly fast. I still won't expect high level kick boxing from her but we may all be surprised. If I was a women going to fight her id try to take her down and not risk the hands. That being said im a firm believer a top 10 kickboxer/thai fighter could use distance and kicks to beat just about any top boxer in the world.

The hands are MUCH more important in MMA than kicking. 

So let me clarify. Kicks are important of course, and win fights. That being said, the hands dictate the standup the VAST majority of the time during MMA fights.

The better hands much more often dictate the winner of standup exchanges and result in MANY more KO's than kicks. By far. 

Again, kicks are important and certainly win some fights. And need to be learned for MMA.

But generally the person with the best boxing and punches is the one who ends up winning the standup battles. 

2/8/20 2:55 PM
1/3/20

She has a really heavy trunk and its awkward for her to lift her legs up. She will need to stretch regularly and drop some weight wouldn't hurt to make her agile for kickboxing.

2/8/20 3:01 PM
1/13/10
ValeTudo 1 -
Barry_BondsMVP -

Dillon is already an accomplished grappler and venom has his unorthodox stand up. Clarissa is a big girl and cutting to 145 would be a lot, unless Bellator plans let her fight CW's or start a whole new division. 

I guess she'll wait for Cyborg to retire and make a run at a title? Lol

2/8/20 3:15 PM
11/19/19

Let's be real, most wmma fighters aren't athletes and most aren't very technically skilled. It's a free for all sport and any top athlete can learn enough to be at the very least competitive in a short amount of time. The top wmma fighters like Rose and Valentina should not be messed with, though. Their skills are on par with top male fighters.

Edited: 2/8/20 4:11 PM
8/19/03
ScreenName22 -

Let's be real, most wmma fighters aren't athletes and most aren't very technically skilled. It's a free for all sport and any top athlete can learn enough to be at the very least competitive in a short amount of time. The top wmma fighters like Rose and Valentina should not be messed with, though. Their skills are on par with top male fighters.

Agreed.  The highest levels of talent in WMMA are realistically held by maybe 10 or 15 fighters, with everyone else light years behind to an almost unfathomable extent.  She could do damage in relatively short order- the old "clinch and take down the boxer" strategy is great when there's a pool of talent good enough to do so, but that doesn't really exist in WMMA, especially at her weight, where there's barely even any opponents.  She most likely is strong enough already to shuck off most WMMA fighters right now and keep it standing.  I dont see many female Daniel Cormier's out there.

That said, she probably shouldn't be barking up Nunes' tree, on the feet, ground, clinch, or anywhere else anytime soon. I dont think she's ever fought a savage like Nunes and unless there's some incredible level of talent that exists in women's boxing that I don't know about,  her Olympic medal and 10 win pro career (featuring a staggering two finishes) isn't enough to move me, either.  

But again, she's already by default in the top 20% talent pool for WMMA, so it is what it is.

2/8/20 5:18 PM
1/13/10

Don't get it twisted Walt, her boxing skills are legit, and she's beaten some tough girls. Yes the advantage Nunes has standing is obviously her kicks....

2/8/20 5:42 PM
7/28/02

imo with her skillset she should be focusing on grappling from the bottom, and kick defense, not kick offense nor takedown offense

Edited: 2/8/20 5:48 PM
1/17/03
CombatSportsInformer -

Imagine if she refines it. Top athlete.

??????? save the criticism it was my first time ! But I am serious about transitioning! pic.twitter.com/jaFQinMEJn

-- ClaressaT-rexShields (@Claressashields) February 7, 2020

Nobody expects her to be able to kick correctly, but thats not a good start either. 

Why would she even post that though? Then ask people not to talk shit?