UnderGround Forums CSAC ED: PEDs & extreme weight cutting are related

2/3/20 10:36 AM
1/1/01

CSAC Executive Officer Andy Foster has taken the lead in fighting the culture of extreme weight cutting in mixed martial arts. And during an appearance on The Last Round podcast, Foster linked weight-cutting with the sport's performance-enhancing drug issue, and more.

"Weight cutting, neurological health, and performance-enhancing drugs do not exist in a vacuum alone," explained Foster, as transcribed by Edward Carbajal for MyMMANews. "I think many times these are connected issues. ... A fighter might cut weight using a diuretic or a PED to maintain their strength and that extra strength allows them to hit harder, which causes neurological injury to their opponent."

Foster has interviewed countless fighters caught for PED use, and frequently hears about the link.

"I've seen this over and over again, 'Mr. Foster, Mr. Foster. I only did it because I needed to maintain my strength for the cut,'" said the CSAC boss, who believed solving the weight-cutting issue, will lessen the problem with PED use and brain trauma.

"I'm saying we solve neurological health, I'm not saying we solve PEDs," said Foster. "But I'm saying we can mitigate those two, and at least reduce the number of those other two pieces that I call 'the regulatory triangle' that I focus on if we can solve the weight."

2/3/20 10:52 AM
2/2/08

If these guys are crazy enough to give themselves brain damage, then they should be allowed the juice.

2/3/20 11:24 AM
1/1/01
forumnewb - If these guys are crazy enough to give themselves brain damage, then they should be allowed the juice.

If dain bramage is bad, why allow something that makes it worse? 

2/3/20 12:05 PM
5/8/13
Kirik -
forumnewb - If these guys are crazy enough to give themselves brain damage, then they should be allowed the juice.

Would you agree that cutting weight is worse than ped's?  What about getting hit while severely dehydrated vs. getting hit by a guy on ped's if you're hydrated (no weight cut)?? So personally, I'd like to get rid of the cutting weight, and if they all use something to stay healthy between fights and be in peak physical shape, it doesn't bother me as much.

2/3/20 12:08 PM
8/14/12

This is why TRT being legal was insane even if done "legit". Dieting lowers testosterone, dehydration lowers testosterone. So letting these guys diet and then weight cut with top end levels of test that most naturals never even have in their lives was a massive advantage. 

2/3/20 12:17 PM
1/1/01
Dugs95 - 
Kirik -

Would you agree that cutting weight is worse than ped's?  What about getting hit while severely dehydrated vs. getting hit by a guy on ped's if you're hydrated (no weight cut)?? So personally, I'd like to get rid of the cutting weight, and if they all use something to stay healthy between fights and be in peak physical shape, it doesn't bother me as much.

I agree that weight cutting in MMA in North America is a worse problem. I support efforts to reasonably address both issues. USADA has not always been reasonable. But just because drinking and driving is worse than speeding, doesn't mean I don't think there should be speed limits.

2/3/20 2:50 PM
3/14/02

Surely hydration tests cannot be too far away??