UnderGround Forums Burns, Edwards bicker over who's next for Usman

30 days ago
1/1/01

Kamaru Usman successfully defended his welterweight belt in the main event of UFC 251 on Saturday night, and shortly afterward, the fight for who's next began.

At the post-fight press conference, Usman appeared open to defending vs. either Burns or Edwards.

“We’ve got to wait to see what happens,” said Usman. “We all know what happens in the UFC. Nothing is for sure unless you’re stepping inside that cage. That’s when something is for sure. We learned that six days ago. ... in this division, there’s no shortage of contenders. Leon Edwards is there. The guy’s been tearing it up. Gilbert had an amazing year, he’s there. Colby thinks he’s there. So there’s no shortage of challenges. There’s always gonna be a challenger, they’re always gonna throw somebody in there with me and whoever the company feels they want to throw in there, that’s my job as a champion to go in there and dominate like I just did.”

UG, who do you want to see next?

h/t Jed Meshew for MMA Fighting

30 days ago
2/15/06

Burns

30 days ago
4/22/20
Burns is right. It's Burns.

And I know it's been a while, but Leon has already lost to Usman. I want to see what Burns v Usman looks like
30 days ago
5/24/08

Edwards Vs Gilbert should be the smart move. Beating a over the hill Maia is not impressive. He's not been the same since he lost his title fight against Tyron and thewthe against Tyron while it looked impressive it was clear Woodley looked a bit lost in that cage. 

30 days ago
12/4/18

None of these guys stand a chance against Usman 

Edited: 30 days ago
2/9/09
God Of Thunder -

None of these guys stand a chance against Usman 

Burns stands a solid chance IMO. 

Id buy that PPV. Would not buy Edwards vs Usman

Hopefully this happens within the next 4 months.

30 days ago
2/9/09

Also, yeah Burns should be next

30 days ago
1/14/12

Simple just book them to fight end of problem.

30 days ago
2/9/09
BigTedBear -

Simple just book them to fight end of problem.

You didn't read it, did you? Ariel wants them to fight, Burns is arguing that he should be next.

I agree

30 days ago
3/6/14

boo-urns  . Edwards is too boring both personality and fighting. 

Edited: 30 days ago
2/9/09
ironbelly -

This. He also already lost to Usman and I had Nelson winning that fight. Edwards has nothing for Usman. No interest....unless the UFC wants to sell 0 PPVs. 

30 days ago
1/25/14

I'd rather see Burns. 

30 days ago
1/24/17

It should be Burns next, Leon already lost to Usman.

Leon can wait for the next title shot

30 days ago
1/1/01

on same card Usman-Burns..Masdival-Edwards winners fight each other next card..Losers fight each other too

30 days ago
11/8/08
ironbelly -

30 days ago
3/5/15

If Burns is healthy and Edwards can travel to Yas Island then I think they should fight only because Usman will probably need some time off. 

It's a timing thing and imo there's been fighters more deserving that had to keep fighting until their chance came to be. 

If Usman is ready to go quick than I guess Burns should get it. 

29 days ago
3/22/16
knot eye - 

If Burns is healthy and Edwards can travel to Yas Island then I think they should fight only because Usman will probably need some time off. 

It's a timing thing and imo there's been fighters more deserving that had to keep fighting until their chance came to be. 

If Usman is ready to go quick than I guess Burns should get it. 

First off, Burns has been super active. So he deserves a break as much as Usman does and they can probably fight at the end of the year with both having similar time off. Lets not forget that Burns stepped in on short notice vs Woodley and was ready to turn around almost immediately for the Usman fight. UFC rewards those type of guys.

Second, Edwards last fight was last July. Shutdowns didnt happen til March/April of this year. If dude wanted to remain active he could have fought by now. He just doesnt warrant a title shot. Its interesting that Leon is repped by Conor's rep agency so Helwani naturally wants to show favor (according to Ali)
28 days ago
12/7/14

Edwards hasnt fought in a year and I thought the Gunnar beat him, very close fight though. Either way Burns has a much better chance imo, has been way more active, and has taken fights on short notice to help the UFC, he deserevs it 100%

28 days ago
12/15/11

McGregor vs Usman