UnderGround Forums Anyone train a traditional Japanese martial art?

9/7/20 11:19 PM
1/1/01
anyone?
9/7/20 11:37 PM
9/10/13

Not me but my brother in-law was very into iaido. I watched a few and went to some competitions. I don't really know the traditions but it all seemed very traditional to me. 

9/7/20 11:48 PM
1/1/01

I train Bukakke, our dojo looks like Carlsbad Caverns. 

9/7/20 11:57 PM
2/2/12

Previously. Iaido, very precise and meticulous martial art. Did bokken training of sorts and tried kendo. I really liked kendo but the armor was expensive as fuck and I could not afford it at that time.

I still do judo. Can't wait for the dojos to open back up.

9/8/20 12:51 AM
9/20/19

Me at kendo practice

Me at kendo practice. 

9/8/20 1:27 AM
12/11/14
HillboFrateTrane -

Me at kendo practice

Me at kendo practice. 

Legit lol. True warrior spirit 

9/8/20 2:27 AM
9/26/07

I started off with Wado ryu karate, then later did a few years of traditional Japanese Jiujitsu (hontai Yoshin ryu) before moving into Bjj and mma then got my judo karate black belts a few years ago 

9/8/20 2:47 AM
1/1/01
Not anymore.

Did Hombu Aikido in High School & Judo/ Danzan Ryu ju jitsu as a kid & then again in my 20s.

My old Danzan Ryu teacher did many arts but has dedicated the rest of his life to just Jodo & Jojutsu and is probably one of the top practioners in America. I have done a tiny bit of Jodo... But, I'm just not that into it.
Edited: 9/8/20 3:14 AM
7/22/11

I dont know what your looking for with  ”traditional”.

But our ashihara karate (offshoot from kyokushin karate) originates from Japan. It is a budo martial art with belt ranks 10kyu-> 4th Dan.

Titles Kancho->shihan->Sensei->Senpai. 

All dojos have direct contact with Japan and the founders son Hidenori Ashihara. R.i.p hideyuki ashihara (founder).

I consider myself lucky to be part of the Ashihara family. 

9/8/20 3:19 AM
2/3/10

I did kendo when I was younger

9/8/20 6:05 AM
12/3/02

Judo. 

9/8/20 7:27 AM
7/2/15

First art was Shotokan. 

9/8/20 8:30 AM
9/14/13

judo and a wee bit of kudo daido juku (an offshoot of kiyokushin)

kudo is cool as fuck

9/8/20 8:36 AM
5/14/09
Did Shidokan Karate for a long time. It's an offshoot of kyokushin karate. It incorporates kickboxing, knockdown karate, and a little grappling. We all did BJJ too so was actually a pretty damn complete system.
9/8/20 9:37 AM
1/1/01
Sabaki - 

But our ashihara karate (offshoot from kyokushin karate) originates from Japan. It is a budo martial art with belt ranks 10kyu-> 4th Dan.

All dojos have direct contact with Japan and the founders son Hidenori Ashihara. R.i.p hideyuki ashihara (founder).

I met Hideyuki Ashihara. Impressive guy. And maybe the toughest guy I ever knew was his student.

9/8/20 5:07 PM
7/22/11
Kirik -
Sabaki - 

I met Hideyuki Ashihara. Impressive guy. And maybe the toughest guy I ever knew was his student.

Sidenote Duane Bang Ludvig has trained ashihara karate ->  Joko Ninomiya took ashihara karate to the U S A before he started his own (enshin karate). Never met first Kancho but have trained under his son and several of our Senseis had the privilige to train under him.

So all the Osu! Duane does in his system is partly because of his background in traditional MA. 

And now you have to tell us who the toughest Guy you ever knew was... 

9/8/20 5:09 PM
7/22/11
flemingo -

judo and a wee bit of kudo daido juku (an offshoot of kiyokushin)

kudo is cool as fuck

Kudo is legit. Had the honor to learn from  kenichi osada on 2 different seminars almost 10-15 years ago. 

9/8/20 8:18 PM
3/23/17

Jujitsu 3 years. Aikido 1.5 years. Judo 2 years, will do again. BJJ 20 years.

9/8/20 10:12 PM
1/1/01
Goju Ryu
9/9/20 2:19 PM
9/8/05
Twinkle Toes - Did Shidokan Karate for a long time. It's an offshoot of kyokushin karate. It incorporates kickboxing, knockdown karate, and a little grappling. We all did BJJ too so was actually a pretty damn complete system.

great art!

9/9/20 4:24 PM
1/1/01
Sabaki - 

Out of curiosity, do you know anything about an old Ashihara Karate school in Gardena, CA?

When I moved to that general area, I noticed there was a fadded sign for a long gone Ashihara Karate school in an old strip mall.
9/10/20 2:27 AM
7/22/11
shen -
Sabaki - 

Out of curiosity, do you know anything about an old Ashihara Karate school in Gardena, CA?

When I moved to that general area, I noticed there was a fadded sign for a long gone Ashihara Karate school in an old strip mall.

I only know of 1 ashihara karate dojo in the U S A in the last 20 years. It was actually Instructors with solid background from Japan. They posted some videos online but turned out they wherent officially supported bye honbu (licensed etc) so I think they closed down or changed out logos/ branding of what they teached. 

I think founder of enshin( former ashihara karate student) Joko Ninomyoa is Held up in Denver if im not mistaken.

Edited: 9/10/20 2:35 AM
2/5/16

My uncle taught me a martial art only he and Steven segal learned from monks. Moves are too dangerous though 

9/10/20 12:50 PM
1/1/01
Sabaki -
Kirik -
Sabaki - 

Sidenote Duane Bang Ludvig has trained ashihara karate ->  Joko Ninomiya took ashihara karate to the U S A before he started his own (enshin karate). Never met first Kancho but have trained under his son and several of our Senseis had the privilige to train under him.

So all the Osu! Duane does in his system is partly because of his background in traditional MA. 

And now you have to tell us who the toughest Guy you ever knew was... 

Nori Kudo, 8th dan Judo, and high ranking knockdown karate master. Did randori with Geesink!

9/10/20 1:56 PM
1/1/01

I started in Shotokan Karate and stayed with it for five years, made shodan.

Moved on to Zujitsu. Which was a Goju and JJJ offshoot through Professor V and Moses Powell.  Got Nidan in that.